- Gonzales Independent School District
Gonzales ISD Mitigation Plan
Gonzales ISD Athletic COVID-19 Plan of Action
This document is written in compliance with current CDC, National, State, UIL and Local guidelines and requirements, and will evolve according to any released updates.
*Due to potential amendments to state guidelines, this document could be changed in the future*
In-School Athletic Plan and Practice Plan-
- Gonzales ISD will continue to follow all guidelines from UIL, county, state and national government entities.
- Students who decide to attend school through the virtual platform will be allowed to participate in extracurricular activities at GISD. Students must attend extracurricular activities to be included in the athletic period. They must attend practice and workouts in order to participate in the program.
- Entry/Exit Procedure- All staff and athletes will enter the designated area for pre-screening questions and temperature checks. They must show their Rank One COVID 19 form daily upon entrance. Anyone with a temperature of 100+ degrees will be denied admittance. All persons must wear a mask once inside the entry area. Immediately upon completion of your workouts/practices, all participants must exit facilities through the designated exit area.
- Mask/Face Covering- In compliance with Executive Order GA-29, all coaches and students will wear a mask or face covering at all times inside the building unless the student-athlete is actively engaged in a practice or workout. We will wear masks or face coverings when outside unless the activity allows for 10 feet of social distancing between each participant or the athletes are actively engaged.
- Sanitation/Disinfection- All staff and students are encouraged to utilize hand sanitizer upon entry to the athletic facilities. The weight room is disinfected by staff in between group usage and by custodial staff each day at the conclusion of each workout.
- Water Plan- Each student will bring their own water bottles as an extra opportunity for water. Every athlete will have an assigned water break area and there will be no sharing of water/food. GISD will refill their water bottles during practices/games and have disposable cups of water as well. The training staff will be the only personnel allowed to refill water bottles and disposable cups. They will wear rubber gloves and face coverings and adhere to OSHA guidelines for distributing water and athletic drinks.
- Facility Access- Students will have access to showers after workouts prior to going inside the school building for class. The showers will be disinfected by staff in between athletic periods. The facilities will only be used by GISD staff and students during designated workout times.
Response to staff or students with exposure, symptoms or a positive test:
Exposure: We will ask anyone with direct close contact exposure to self-quarantine for 14 days.
-Close Contact -
This document refers to “close contact” with an individual who is lab-confirmed to have COVID-19. Close contact is determined by an appropriate public health agency. For clarity, close contact is defined as: a. being directly exposed to infectious secretions (e.g., being coughed on while not wearing a mask or face shield); or b. being within 6 feet for a cumulative duration of 15 minutes, while not wearing a mask or face shield; if either occurred at any time in the last 14 days at the same time the infected individual was infectious. Individuals will follow the exposure protocol listed above.
Symptoms: All staff or students must be COVID-19 symptom free without medication for 72 hours in order to attend the facilities and participate.
In evaluating whether an individual has symptoms consistent with COVID-19, consider the following questions:
Have they recently begun experiencing any of the following in a way that is not normal for them?
- Feeling feverish or a measured temperature greater than or equal to 100.0 degrees Fahrenheit
- Loss of taste or smell
- Difficulty breathing
- Shortness of breath
- Sore throat
- Shaking or exaggerated shivering
- Significant muscle pain or ache
Screening Questionnaire Information
- When asking individuals if they have symptoms for COVID-19, Gonzales ISD athletics must only require the individual to provide a “Yes” or “No” to the overall statement that they are symptomatic for COVID-19, as opposed to asking the individual for specific symptom confirmation. School systems are not entitled to collect information during screening on the specific health information of an individual beyond that they are symptomatic.
- Once it is determined that individuals who responded “Yes” to either of these questions have met the criteria for re-entry, Gonzales ISD athletics must destroy those individuals’ responses.
Positive Test: In the case of an individual who was diagnosed with COVID-19, the individual may return to school when all four of the following criteria are met:
- at least 24 hours have passed since recovery (resolution of fever without the use of fever-reducing medications);
- the individual has improvement in symptoms (e.g., cough, shortness of breath); and
- at least ten days have passed since symptoms first appeared.
- Obtain a medical professional’s note clearing the individual for return
In the case of an individual who has symptoms that could be COVID-19 and who is not evaluated by a medical professional or tested for COVID-19, such individual is assumed to have COVID-19, and the individual may not return to the campus until the individual has completed the same three-step set of criteria listed above.
If the individual has symptoms that could be COVID-19 and wants to return to school before completing the above stay at home period, the individual must either (a) obtain a medical professional’s note clearing the individual for return based on an alternative diagnosis or (b) receive two separate confirmations at least 24 hours apart that they are free of COVID via acute infection tests at an approved COVID-19 testing location found at https://tdem.texas.gov/covid-19/.
In response to a positive result, Gonzales ISD Athletics will close off areas that are heavily used by the individual with the lab-confirmed case (student, teacher, or staff) until the non-porous surfaces in those areas can be disinfected, unless more than 3 days have already passed since that person was on campus.
Locker Room Procedures
All students and staff will be required to have their face mask or shield on at all times while dressing and changing. As soon as the athlete is dressed, they are required to go to designated “holding/waiting” areas or leave the facility. Each locker will be disinfected each day at the end of practice or contest prior to putting washed/disinfected equipment, clothing and gear back in it.
All GISD issued equipment, clothing and gear will be washed/disinfected daily by GISD athletic staff at the conclusion of each practice session or contest, and it will be redistributed to the disinfected locker prior to the student’s arrival for the next practice session or game.
Restrooms will be monitored and limited access to reduce traffic in these areas
All staff and students will be required to wear a mask or shield during transportation to and from all practices and competitions.
Post-Game Stadium/Gym Procedures
Staff and students will enter and exit competition areas using designated access points and flow of traffic. There will be no interaction permitted with any staff or students and the fans or family. Upon completion of games, staff and students will exit the competition areas and be dismissed using normal facility exit procedures.
Gonzales ISD Gym Procedures
Gonzales HS Main Gym has a 50% capacity of 420 on the home side/200 on the visitor side and the Jr. High Gym has a 50% capacity of 275 in the new gym and 175 in the old gym for fans with our new social distancing guidelines. All spectators must follow pre-screen directions on our website and located at every entrance, they may be refused entry if deemed necessary by admittance staff. These numbers will be communicated to our opponents and seating will be strictly limited and enforced. All spectators are expected to remain in their seat using 6 feet of social distancing between their group and other groups. We ask that you do not sit directly in front of or behind a group already seated. You will have to use designated entrances and exits for specific gyms.
Officials, Team, Coaches Entry/Exit will be done through a designated entrance with no access to fans/family.
Gonzales ISD Stadium Procedures
All spectators must follow pre-screen directions on our website and located at every entrance, they may be refused entry if deemed necessary by admittance staff. The 50% capacity for the stadium is 2,500. 1,400 on home side and 1,100 on the visitor side. Those numbers are decreased on the home side to 1,100 for the allotment of District passes and reduced to 825 on the visitor side for section 1 to be closed for our band. If our Visiting teams decided to bring their band, section 4 on the visitor side will also be closed and that number will be decreased to 550 tickets for the visiting side. These numbers will be communicated to our opponents and seating will be strictly limited and enforced. All spectators are expected to remain in their seat using 6 feet of social distancing between their group and other groups. We ask that you do not sit directly in front of or behind a group already seated. The directions for online ticket program can be found at www.hometownticketing.com
Officials, Team, Coaches Entry/Exit will be done through a designated entrance with no access to fans/family. Gonzales fans traveling to away games will be mindful of the reduced capacities at our opponent’s facilities. To ensure yourself a seat, you should plan on arriving early. All districts are required to have policies and procedures in place when hosting competitions, and they may be different at each facility. Please be flexible and considerate of our host’s efforts to ensure a safe environment for all participants and spectators.
Gonzales ISD Student Athlete/Student Group Tickets
Student Athletes/Student Groups that participate on game nights will be offered to buy 4 tickets per individual. If the tickets are not bought by Wednesday at noon, those tickets will be put back in the general admission lot. Instructions for ticket purchases can be found on our website, we will use Home Town Tickets as our on-line provider.
Student Groups not directly involved in the game or contest
Student groups such as marching bands, cheerleaders, drill teams, and other groups approved by the school district may attend and perform at games or contests in which they are not competing. Gonzales ISD may limit the number of participants to those essential to the performance.
- These student groups should remain separate from the game or contest participants at all times. These student groups should avoid mixing with fans or non-group members throughout the game or contest.
- Student groups are required to wear face coverings as described in Executive Order GA-29.
- Gonzales ISD will limit the number of students and staff given access to the playing areas and ensure protocols for entering and exiting the playing areas are in place.
- Fans and spectators should be located to provide at least 10 feet of distance from bands playing wind instruments from the stands.
- These students should maintain appropriate distancing from game or contest participants at all times, including when on the sideline.
Concession Stands and Food Service
For games, contests, and events that will include concession stands or other food service, the following guidelines apply:
- Staff, contractors, and volunteers involved in food service are required to wear face coverings as described in Executive Order GA-29.
- Gonzales ISD concessions will only provide condiments or flatware upon request, and in single use, individually wrapped items.
- Gonzales ISD concession will regularly clean and disinfect the food service counters and areas after each patron departs.
- Gonzales ISD concessions will limit contact between the individuals involved in food service and patrons as much as possible.
- Before each game, Gonzales ISD will follow the screening protocols described above to screen staff, contractors, and volunteers who will be involved in food service prior to events. These individuals should also self-screen as described in these screening protocols.
Press Box seating should include social distancing of at least six feet between individuals when possible.
Visiting Teams and Participants
- Visiting teams and participants are required to wear face coverings as described in Executive Order GA-29.
- Gonzales ISD will designate a cleaned and disinfected area for teams to unload and load buses separate from fans, spectators, and other individuals not essential to the team or group.
- Visiting team /group locker rooms should be cleaned and sanitized by Gonzales ISD before the visiting team arrives. Visiting teams/groups are responsible for cleaning and disinfecting equipment once it is unloaded. Schools should limit access to these facilities to only students and staff essential for the game, contest, or event.
- Before each game, contest, or event, schools should follow the screening protocols described above to screen all staff members, contractors, volunteers, sports officials, contest judges, and any individuals otherwise involved in working the event. These individuals should also self-screen as described in these screening protocols.
Gonzales ISD will provide sports and contest officials an area to enter and exit separate from fans when possible. Officials should be provided a dressing and meeting area, if applicable, that has been cleaned and disinfected prior to their arrival.
- Pregame or pre-event meetings between teams and/or sports and contest officials should be planned to allow appropriate distancing between individuals.
- Pregame and post-game gestures of sportsmanship should be conducted between teams and sports and contest officials in ways planned to help reduce the risk of spread of COVID-19.
- All participants should be provided with entry and exit plans for contest areas that maintain separation from non-participants and fans. Individuals not essential to the team or group should not be given access to contest areas, performance areas, courts, or fields at all before, during, or after contests and events.
Gonzales ISD will limit access to working media providing coverage of the event to ensure protocols are followed. Post-game interviews should be conducted while wearing face coverings and maintaining at least six feet of distance between the interviewer and individual being interviewed.